Monday, July 16, 2007

Education, adventure and really wild things

Yes, this sounds like the university I remember:

It was a time when you could discover a new poet, meet a lifelong friend, fall in love and completely alter your world view, all within a single term; and then do it all again next term. I never, for one minute gave thought to what I would do to earn my living.

Yes...which has had its downsides, I must admit. But also, and to a far, far greater extent, its upsides.

Such is the wisdom of the sports journalist:

Education has changed course since then. Those poor young people at university nowadays send me their CVs and have five-year plans and targets and loans to pay. For them, education is about transforming themselves into an effective economic unit.
Sad, really.

(via here)

No comments: