Friday, August 06, 2010

Staring death in the eye and not blinking...much

There are many ways of facing mortality; I mean, in the way that it becomes real and immediate.

I'd like to think that I'd face this situation with defiance and optimism and quiet confidence.

But if I can't, grim determination will do:

Myself, I love the imagery of struggle. I sometimes wish I were suffering in a good cause, or risking my life for the good of others, instead of just being a gravely endangered patient. Allow me to inform you, though, that when you sit in a room with a set of other finalists, and kindly people bring a huge transparent bag of poison and plug it into your arm, and you either read or don’t read a book while the venom sack gradually empties itself into your system, the image of the ardent soldier or revolutionary is the very last one that will occur to you. You feel swamped with passivity and impotence: dissolving in powerlessness like a sugar lump in water.

Once again, wishing Christopher the best.

No comments: